About St. George’s
Serving the Parrsboro community, engaging and encouraging others through a life-changing journey
Our mission is to nurture a diverse and welcoming community, committed to following fearlessly wherever God is leading us and make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of Parrsboro and the world!
Welcome to St. George’s, the cornerstone of the Anglican Parish of the Parrsboro Shore. In 1786, James Ratchford, a local entrepeneur who built a financial empire on shipping out of the Partridge Island port, had Parrsboro declared a parish and had St. George’s chapel built to meet the needs of the growing community.
In 1787, the first rector of the new Parish, the Reverend Thomas Shreve arrived and settled to serve the Anglican Parish for the next 15 years.
By 1789, the growing town required a proper church and the first St. George’s church was built adjacent the Anglican Girl’s school on Victoria St. By the mid 1800’s however, the structure of this church had become so compromised by time and harsh weather that it was deemed unsalvageable. Rather than rebuild a new church at the same location however, a new and more prominent site was chosen on Main Street in the center of town.
The building contract was awarded to Thomas R. Corbett on June 30th, 1865, who constructed a classic carpenter gothic structure including lancet windows on all façades and a steep gable roof. An unusual spire also incorporated lancet windows on all four sides of the tapered upper section. The building is 6m to its eaves, 12m to its ridge and the 36.5m spire is capped with a cross. The church also included a richly finished interior with intricate ornamental details and gothic stylings (many of which are still in tact). It soon opened for services, with Rev. William B. King (locally known as Parson King), as the church’s first rector.
More important than its architectural value is St. George’s spiritual value, defined by its continuous use as a place of worship for over 150 years!